Friday, January 13, 2006

Carter is one!


We celebrated Carter's first birthday on Wednesday. Under the guise of celebrating his first year, I'm really celebrating the fact that I survived my first year of mamahood. Parenthood has been quite a trip - both a million times more terrifying and exhilirating than I ever imagined. In the past year I have faced so many challenges I never expected and for the most part I've managed to rise to the occasion. By being a parent, I have discovered an inner strength I never knew existed. And a love that knows no bounds.

At one year old, he's an interesting mix of the baby he was and the little boy he will become. He still nurses and gets his best sleep in my arms. And we're still waiting for his hair to fill in. At the same time, he walks - no, runs - without fear. He eats real food and says real words (sort of). Every day, we see more of his personality emerge. My heart swells with pride as I see the person he is becoming.

We hosted a playgroup yesterday. Carter was the perfect host. He made the rounds to his friends, offering tips on how to best play with his toys. He gave hugs to both the moms and kids, sometimes a little too enthusiastically, but the thought was there. Then when it was time for his friends to leave, he walked them to the door, waving goodbye.

After everyone left, Carter collapsed onto my chest and slept for an hour. As big as he is, he's still my little man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home